Monday 18 February 2013

Chance is a wonderful thing - blackboard drawing

Working drawing by Masae Bamba

Diana Hand's interpretation on lithographic stone
A drawing by Masae Bamba  in the book "Memory on Cloth - shibori now" inspired me to try out a new technique on the lithographic stone.  Instead of drawing black medium on the pale stone, I inked up the whole stone and then drew lightly into it to obtain white on black, a technique known as "maniere noire".  It did not come out quite as I had planned, I am not yet sure why, but the results are pleasing, and I will make another attempt.

I like the fact that it is a diagram and an attempt to work out a practical method of, in this case, stitching cloth.  I am interested in these kind of images after my reading of Christopher Alexander and his "constructive diagrams" (see my new blog "Thinking it". for more on this)

No comments:

Post a Comment