Wednesday 7 September 2011

Twitter makes me want to cry - or being too honest in my blog

I am learning to try out social media, but am astonished at the immediate sense of intimacy with people I have never met, am never likely to meet, or even want to meet. Thinking to previous blog about Hoffmann, I feel that so much instant friending is totally false, it bypasses the way we relate to people through all important senses of hearing, vision, touch maybe, smell and sound. Such sensual information unconsciously helps us to relate to people. Neuroscientists say that our bodies make decisions before our brains are aware of it. I guess even the fact of taking this social media issue seriously also makes me rather sad.

Another vanity is the sense of equality with famous celebrities. I am now a follower of @Frankie Dettori. Soon I shall try @Cheryl Cole and, probably, @Prince William! But @Robert Peston was my very first choice and that brings me to the most important role of Twitter, that is as a source of information!!!

Zoe Williams of the Guardian writes about the absurdity of tweeting about David Walliams while watching him swimming down the Thames. "To borrow from Audrey Hepburn" she says "it is like drinking coffee through a veil" .. when nothing is "real" unless mediated via facebook and/or twitter! Though actually I myself prefer life as mediated through the "veil" of the printed word!





No comments:

Post a Comment