Tuesday 17 August 2010

Life in fast forward

What have I been doing I last posted in this blog? I will have to look back at my diary because it is a blur which seems to gain momentum by the day.

One way to look at it is that the ideas and techniques I explored in the first half of the year have "come through" so that they are useful and exciting. There is always for me a sense of relaxation from July onwards - I work out a sort of plan early in year, then just "do it".


Main thoughts are:

the usefulness of screenprinting course in June, which helped me to run my workshop in a much more systematic way. This is calmer and the work is hopefully better, at least more predictable and satisfying


Edgar Degas "Hacking to the Track"
Oil on canvas, c. 1892








My work on the horse st
udies is proving really exciting. I try to make time for it each day, and now I am thinking of making compositions. I looked at a book by Degas, the French 19th century painter, and saw how he put compositions together really carefully from his sketches and colour studies.

I will soon put some images into this text. I am working hard this week to prepare for the Edinburgh Fringe. I have a stand there next week.


Tonight I am off to a meeting of artists. We have formed an exhibiting group.

In my studio, the yurt makers are moving out. They have found a wonderful farmhouse with a big barn and they are all going to live there. They are a sort of clan and it is a family business. Rather to my surprise, I am really going to miss them!
Good luck, yurt company!

1 comment:

  1. Like the comment, Diana [...] Xucheng Han Cheng Han Shu Juan said: Survival but continued fighting in the heart and soul; writing is sitting the trial itself.'
    (Courtesy of Google 'Translate', so pos. not entirely 100% accurate, but do SO agree with the sentiment.)
    JAS

    ReplyDelete