Sunday 10 January 2010

Samuel Pepys and the beginnings of a thaw


Today weather is warmer and pavements and roads are clear, praise be to God. I went to the Apple centre in Glasgow because I wanted to learn better how to use my new iPod. Which I did. I was sorry to see the wonderful Borders bookstore in Buchanan Street now closed. Victim of the credit crunch. I have so much enjoyed visiting that huge opulent shop with its fabulous magazine collection and great range of books and music.


I am reading The Diary of Samuel Pepys. It is his private diary, originally written in shorthand during the 1660s in London, but is as fresh as if written yesterday, and particularly poignant to those who are familiar with London. Imagine nightingales in Woolwich and wild carnations in Vauxhall. But the cut-throat politics of Whitehall remain the same as ever, as we have witnessed this week. The Diary is also fascinating seen as a model blog, though I would be wary of being quite so honest in what is essentially a public document.


Yesterday I sent off my application to a printmaking exhibition in May.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diane
    How are you doing although this blog communicates some of your interests. Have you had any response regarding your application for a printmaking exhibition?
    Best of luck
    finished a 2 day course at DCA today
    what an excellent printmaking workshop

    best wishes

    Aine

    ReplyDelete